Jelly Bean has created a new era of Android generation, everybody want to have Android JellyBean on their phone. Samsung Galaxy SIII is the 3rd gen Samsung Flagship device and expecting Jelly Bean Firmware update but it looks like it will take some months. Verizon Galaxy SIII I535 users will get it after the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OTA will be released for International Galaxy SIII. We have recently reviewed Liquid Smooth Jelly Bean ROM that has few bugs but running quite stable.
- In order to proceed with this upgrading process, you need to have an unlocked bootloader, rooted device along with that ClockworkMod Recovery or TWRP Recovery must be installed on it.
- The Android Terminal Emulator must be installed on your Galaxy SIII device. Click here to get the Emulator for your device.
- You need to Backup important data, apps and settings on your Galaxy S3 i535 just to save them from wipe out during the installation process. Put your data (such as SMS, MMS, APN settings, MMS settings, Bookmarks, Call Logs, Contacts, Wi-Fi passwords, Images, Videos, Songs, etc) in SD card.
- The USB Debugging option on your device must be enabled through the path ‘Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging’.
- The Security Suites such as firewall or antivirus must be disabled from your device or Computer before starting the installation process.
- Minimum 70% of battery backup is required for the completion of the installation process. Otherwise the device will turn off in between the process and will never start again until you take it to the service center.
Google Apps Package [Download]
Instructions for Upgrading Galaxy S3 i535 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via CM10:
EFS Partition Backup:
Step 1. First you need to launch the Android Terminal Emulator app on your Galaxy S3 device.
Step 2. Type the following command on opened Emulator and press Enter –
Step 3. Grant access to terminal emulator root when it prompt on your display by pressing Allow/Grant.
Step 4. Then you need to type the following command to make a backup of IMEI/EFS to device’s SD card –
dd if=/ dev/block/mmcblk0p11 of=/sdcard/efs.sbn
Step 5. After this, your internal SD card will have efs.bin file, which you need to copy to your Computer.
Installation of CyanogenMod 10 on Verizon Galaxy SIII:
Step 6. Now, you need to place CyanogenMod 10 ROM and Google Apps package to internal memory of your Galaxy device.
Step 7. Then you need to switch off your Galaxy S3 to reboot into Recovery Mode just by pressing and holding the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons simultaneously till it enters into recovery mode.
Step 8. Once you are in recovery main menu, make NANDroid Backup of your current ROM. The NANDroid Backup can be done through Backup and Restore > Backup.
Step 9. Then you need to select ‘Wipe data/factory reset’ and ‘Wipe Cache partition’. Now, under Advance option select ‘Wipe Dalvik cache’. You need to confirm your selections on the next screen after each selection.
Step 10. Then you need to select ‘Install zip from SD card’ and then select ‘choose zip from SD card’ to browse and select CyanogenMod 10 ROM’s zip file from SD card.
Step 11. Repeat the installation process with Google Apps package in this stop.
Step 12. Return to main menu by selecting Go Back option and then select Reboot system now option to restart your Galaxy S3.
Step 13. Once it get restarted, check your device’s IMEI number in Settings > About phone > Status. If the IMEI number is blank than the process of restoring EFS partition backup is below –
Restoring EFS backup:
Step 14. Launch the Android Terminal Emulator app and type the following command to grant root access –
Step 15. To restore IMEI/EFS backup –
dd if=/sdcard/efs.sbn of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p11
Step 16. After rebooting, your IMEI will be restored and be able to use Galaxy S3 i535.