Samsung Galaxy S3 is new flagship high end Android smartphone from Electronics giant Samsung. Now, chainfire time has introduced a simple way to root it and install CWM recovery. We are providing here a detailed step by step tutorial that will guide you through the procedure.
[box type="alert"]Warning/Alert: Rooting voids warranty. Please understand that we or the chainfire team will not be responsible for any damages or issues caused by following the procedure. However, we are here to help you anytime you face issues.[/box]
[box type="tick"]Pre-requisite to root Samsung Galaxy SIII(SGS3):[/box]
1. You will need a Windows PC, data cable, adb drivers. For adb drivers you can install Pdanet.
2. If you have a new SGS3 then it well to go but if you have some data then back it up. Backup everything including settings, sms, emails, contacts etc.
3. Please ensure that you charge your device to atleast 60% so that you do not face any interruption while following the process.
4. You will need to enable USB debugging Go to settings>>Developer options and check the USB debugging box.
[box type="info" style="rounded"]How to Root Samsung Galaxy SIII I9300 by flashing Insecure kernel using Odin:[/box]
1. Double check that USB debugging is enabled. Open the Odin we have downloaded in pre-requisite section and connect the cable to your computer.
2. Before connecting the phone. Power Off the device, now press the Volume up and Volume down(volume rocker) button together and insert the cable to your SGS3. This will start the phone in download mode.
3. Odin will confirm the recognition of device using a yellow light in ID:COM section(shown below). Now, we can flash the kernel.
4. Extract the kernel from the zip file, it will be in a tar file. Now, select the PDA box on the odin and browse to the “CF-Insecure-SGS3_XX_NEE_ALE8-v1.2.tar” file. Now, click Start. This will flash the kernel and phone will reboot.
5. Again check if USB debugging is enabled on your device. Now, extract the sgs3-root-install.zip file to a folder. Connect your phone to your computer again and execute the install.bat file inside the folder. This will root the device and install SuperSU v0.89 on your SGS3.
6. Your SGS3 is rooted now. You can go ahead and try any rooted apps like titanium backup to ensure that it works fine.
How to Install CWM recovery on SGS3:
The procedure is same as we flashed the kernel using Odin. Just follow the same procedure using Odin and this time select the CWM recovery image file in PDA section and just process. This will flash the CWM recovery to your SGS3. We will be coming up with a more detailed tutorial very soon.
I am sure that you will be able to root your device successfully. we would be soon coming up with custom ROM available for SGS3. We will be soon adding another tutorial to this page that will be about installing CWM recovery on SGS3.
Credit: XDA, Tips4tech