HTC Vivid is a well known Android Smartphone among AT&T customers. AT&T has already sold thousands of HTC Vivid due to its high end features and specs. We are here providing detailed Guide to root HTC Vivid and install Custom ClockWorkMod recovery on it. You can easily flash recovery image to HTC Vivid using fastboot and then install the root zip file. You will easily get the super user access and custom recovery. Below there are essential download packages required for the process.
We will be coming up with some IceCream Sandwich and Jelly Bean ROM reviews of HTC Vivid very soon. Stay tuned with us.
Disclaimer: This instructional guide is only meant for educational purpose. So, if you want to proceed ahead then you are in your own risk. Neither Tips4Droid nor the developer should be liable for your damage under any circumstances. This guide is completely meant for HTC Vivid. This won’t be applicable for any other devices. Simply follow all the instructions carefully before proceeding.
HTC Drivers (if you already have installed device driver on your Computer while unlocking the bootloader then no need to install it again)
Fastboot.zip (This zip file is mandatory if you are going to run fastboot commands on your Computer)
Root and CloclworkMod recovery file
- In this process you need to have a HTC Vivid, a Windows based Computer and a USB data cable.
- Must install HTC device driver on your Computer.
- Disable anti-virus and firewall on your Computer and HTC Vivid as they can cause interruption during rooting process.
- Battery requirement is 70% for the completion of this process.
- You are also recommended to enable the USB Debugging on your HTC Vivid. Follow the path ‘Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging’ and check the USB Debugging option.
- You must take the backup of all your precious data and apps such as SMS, call logs, contacts, images, audios, videos, Bookmarks, APN (Access Point Names) settings, MMS settings. If required, restore then after completing the process.
How to Root ICS on HTC Vivid and install Custom CWM recovery:
- First you need to unlock the bootloader on your HTC Vivid. If you need any help regarding the bootloader unlocking then you will get the guide for HTC Rezound here. Almost all the procedure for both the devices is similar. The only change you may find in between these two methods is – “you must select HTC Vivid (AT & T) in first step instead of All other supported models in bootloader guide”.
- As I have told you earlier that if you haven’t installed the device drivers then get it on your Computer from Download section. This will full fill all the necessary requirement needed for your HTC Vivid.
- Then, you need to place the downloaded Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip file to the root of the SD card.
- Then, you need to extract the PH39IMG.zip file in a folder to obtain recovery.img file.
- Also, extract the fastboot.zip file on your Computer inside a folder named fastboot to get 4 different files.
- Next, you need to switch off your phone and reboot it in bootloader mode by simply pressing and holding Power button and Volume button simultaneously to get into the screen.
- When you reach in the bootloader mode, then use the volume button to navigate and highlight the Fastboot and Power button to select it. Now, connect your HTC device to your Computer.
- Now, there are few things you need to do after this –
- Open the fastboot folder by double-clicking it, which you have extracted earlier.
- Run the Command prompt inside the fastboot folder. For this you need to – press ‘Shift + Right Click’ on empty white space inside the folder and select the ‘Open command window here’.
- Type the following command and press Enter.
fastboot devices – On hitting Enter, you will get a string of random numbers and letters on the screen. This is just to ensure that your HTC device is been detected by the Computer. If nothing appears that means you haven’t connected properly or else you need to reinstall the HTC drivers and restart your Computer (If required).
- Let the Command Prompt be open. Then, place the recovery.img file to the fastboot folder.
- Then, In order to flash the recovery on your HTC Vivid you need to type the following Command and press Enter.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- After flashing the recovery you will find a finished/OKAY message. Then, press the Power button to select BOOTLOADER, then navigate to the RECOVERY option and press the Power button to boot ClockworkMod recovery.
- Then, you need to select ‘install zip from sdcard’ then choose zip file from sdcard and using volume button, scroll down to the Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip file and choose it to install the root package. Confirm your selection by saying ‘Yes’.
- Once the process gets completed, choose ‘+++Go Back+++’ to return to main menu and select ‘reboot system now’ to reboot your HTC Vivid.
Congratulation! Now, you have successfully rooted and installed ClockworkMod recovery on your HTC Vivid.