AT&T Samsung Captivate owner who are waiting for Jelly Bean update should know that yet the newer devices have not got the update and it will take almost 6 months to get a Official update [If any, yet not cleared by Samsung and AT&T]. The best way to get the Jelly Bean taste on your Captivate is to root and install AOKP Salty Bean ROM. Designed by a XDA senior member and based on latest AOKP kang project Android Jelly Bean codes the ROM is stable. There are few minor bugs with USB storage mounting of external card and few bugs related to AOKP Jelly Bean. Developers are working to resolve the issue very soon. Check out the screenshots and detailed installation process below:
Warning: The methods and procedures mentioned in the article may damage or brick your phone completely. Therefore, please proceed at your own risk and with utmost care.
- The methods and procedures mentioned in this article are only for the users who own AT&T Samsung Captivate. Please do not try the methods and steps from this article on any other device.
- Clockwork Recovery should have installed on your device before proceeding with this article.
- Please charge your device so that there is at least 70% or more charge with it, to assure that there will be no Power interruption during the process.
- You backup all valuable data’s on your phone, so that there is no data loss during the process.
- Disable all Security programs like Antivirus and Firewall from your computer and uninstall the same from your phone, as these security programs generally tend to interrupt the process.
- Enable USB Debugging in your AT&T Samsung Captivate from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. The option of USB Debugging should be ticked.
Procedure to Update AT&T Samsung Captivate to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean with AOKP based Salty Bean ROM:
Step1: Reboot your phone so as to enter it in ClockworkMod recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power together until the screen turns on.
Step2: Now, select “wipe data/factory reset” then select “Yes” on the next screen that follows to confirm your action.
Step3: Next, select “install zip from sdcard” then select “choose zip from sdcard” then select the ROM file you’ve placed on the SD card.
Step4: The phone might reboot into recovery in the middle of the installation. If it happens so, repeat the previous step of installing the ROM again.
Step5: After the ROM installation completes, select “choose zip from sdcard” then select the “Salty_Bean_Addons_20120908.zip” placed on the SD card.
Step6: When the installation has completed, go back to the main recovery menu, select “advanced” and then select “Fix permissions”.
Step7: Now, select “++++Go Back++++” and then select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone and land into Salty Bean ROM. First time booting may take 5 minutes or more so don’t panic.
That’s it: You’ve successfully installed Salty Bean ROM on your AT&T Samsung Captivate. Let us know if have any kind of query regarding this article, we try to resolve the same.