Sony Introduced a Official page to unlock Bootloader very much like Motorola. This is a great step to give developers some access to default system by unlocking the device bootloader so that they can contribute more toward ROM and other Android modification. Gone are the days when every Android users wanted to be on the safe side, but now everyone wants to root their device so that they can get more from their devices. Here we are explaining the bootloader unlocking process of Sony devices in detail. You can unlock the Sony Xperia Tablet and Xperia Series Phones with this method.
Sony Bootloader unlock method works on Xperia Tablet S, Xperia V, Xperia J, Xperia TX, Xperia T, Xperia IOn, Xperia S, Tipo, Tipo Dual, Sola, Acro S, Go, Neo L etc.
Warning: Please be informed that neither we nor the developer will hold any responsibility if you damage or brick your device in the process of following this article.
- The methods and steps in this article should only be implemented on Sony Xperia devices.
- Please charge your device so that there at least 70% charge with, so that there will be no Power interruption during the process.
- You should backup all valuable data’s on your phone, so that there is no data loss during the process.
- You need to install Android SDK be before proceeding with this article.
- Disable all Security programs like Antivirus and Firewall from your computer and uninstall the same from your phone, as these security programs generally tend to interrupt the process.
- Enable USB Debugging in your Sony Xperia device from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. The option of USB Debugging should be ticked.
- For checking whether one can root their Xperia or not, check this page. If you find you’re your phone under the supported phones section, your device’s bootloader can be unlocked. Else:
- Enter *#*#7378423*#*# on your phone dialer to access the service menu.
- Go to “Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status”. Check here if “Bootloader unlock allowed” says “Yes” in this section then you can even unlock the bootloader of your phone.
Download fastboot driver file from here to your computer. Extract the downloaded file onto your desktop for convenience, this folder on extraction will contain a single file called “android_winusb.inf”, copy this file. Then, Go to “c:\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver” and paste the copied file here. If you are asked to overwrite an existing file of the same name, do so.
Procedure to unlock Bootloader on Sony Xperia Devices Officially and easily:
Step1: First of all, find the IMEI number of your Sony model and write it down in a convenient place for easy access. You can find out IMEI number of your device by, typing in “*#06*#” on your phone dialer.
Step2: Now, go to the link provided below:
Step3: You will have to click on the “Yes, I’m sure” button to begin the process.
Step4: Next, tick both the checkboxes agreeing to Sony’s legal terms and then click on the “I accept” button to proceed.
Step5: Now, you will be directed to the to the Unlock request page. Enter your name, email-ID and your device’s IMEI number and then click on “Submit” to proceed further.
Step6: You will now see your Unlock code. Write/copy this down somewhere for convenience and easy access.
Step7: Now, connect your device to the PC via original USB cable i.e. the cable that came with it.
Step8: Reboot your device by holding the Menu button (Xperia arc, Xperia arc S, Xperia neo, Xperia neo V, Xperia pro) or the Search button (Xperia Play) or the Volume up button (Xperia mini, Xperia mini pro, Xperia ray, Xperia active, Live with Walkman, Xperia S).
Step9: If driver for your particular device is not installed than, navigate to “c:\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver”.
Step10: Now, open command prompt window and type in the commands that follow:
fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
[You will get a response, something like 0.3, which indicates your phone is connected and detected properly.]
fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY
[Replace the KEY in 0xKEY with the unlock code you obtained from the Sony website.]
Hurray! The bootloader of your phone has been successfully unlocked. Share your joy with us or any query you have, we will try to resolve the same.