Sony has rolled out Android 4.2.2 firmware for Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and also updated on same kernel and baseband which is Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware. The main problem of this firmware was that root exploit has been patched by Sony.
But no need to worry, the XDA developers has found the solution by his new DooMLoRD Easy rooting toolkit v18 to root Xperia Z, Xperia ZL and Xperia ZR on Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware. This is done by using the older kernel because for this root works, then root the device and then came back to latest kernel on phone again.
Before rooting you should check whether your phone is on Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244, if not then you must update your device to Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244.
Step 1: You should fully backup your Android device before rooting it. Backup all your SMS,Backup/Export Contacts, Backup APN settings. You can take help from our article on Tutorial for creating backup of Android device without root access.
Step 2: You should Backup all apps on your device, unrooted users can follow this method procedure to backup apps. If you have already rooted your device then use Titanium to Backup and restore apps and cache data.
Step 3: You should enable USB debugging on your device, to activate USB Debug go to “Settings>Developer options” and check the USB debug option box. Problem enabling USB Debugging you can follow article on How to enable USB debugging on Jelly Bean, Ice Cream Sandwich and Gingerbread.
Step 4: There should be 50% or more amount of battery juice on your device. To know how much charge your device is having you can use our tutorial on how to get battery percentage on Status bar.
Step 5: You should disable security apps and programs like Antivirus and Firewall on your Android device as they may interrupt the procedure.
Before you proceed, please download the essentials given below.
Tips – If you don’t have enough time to charge your device in a day, then read this article “How to Save battery on Quad Core Android devices using QCM+”
How to root Xperia Z Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware
This rooting process works on both locked and unlocked Bootloaders.
1. Open the downloaded Flashtool and flash the “XperiaZ_C660X_KernelOnly_10.3.A.0.423_Generic_NL.f tf” file on your Xperia Z. This file is the kernel of an old firmware of Xperia Z which is rootable.
2. Now after flashing Xperia Z, reboot it and connect to the PC in USB Debugging mode.
3. Make sure that the FLASHTOOL is closed before proceeding to next step. If will not do so, you will get a serious error.
4. Now unzip the downloaded “DooMLoRD_Easy-Rooting-Toolkit_v18_perf-event-exploit.zip” file, open the folder and run the “runme_win” file.
5. The onscreen instructions will be displayed to root Xperia Z, follow them. When the device is rooted, it will reboot automatically. To verify that you have rooted successfully, run SuperSU app.
6. Now switch off Xperia Z and open Flashtool. Flash “XperiaZ_C660X_KernelOnly_10.3.1.A.0.244_BE.ftf” file in order to get back the real kernel of Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware of Xperia Z.
7. When the flashing is complete, disconnect the phone from PC and reboot it.
Now you have successfully rooted your Xperia Z with Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware.
Tips – Are you searching for widgets for your android lockscreen, then read this article “Best Widgets for Android Lock screen”
How to Root Xperia ZL and Xperia ZR Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware
You have to perform the same above steps to root Xperia ZL and Xperia ZR on the same firmware by DooMLoRD Easy Rooting Toolkit v18. Make sure not to flash the kernel of Xperia Z on both the phones as the kernel of both the phones would be different.
So get the kernel files of old rootable and new firmware for Xperia ZL and ZR separately and then you can follow above steps to root your device.
Now you have also rooted your Xperia ZL and ZR with Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.0.244 firmware by DooMLoRD Easy Rooting Toolkit v18.