Samsung Epic 4G SPH-D700 was quite a epic phone equipped with latest 4G LTE technology and a physical QWERTY Keypad. This phone was boon for Sprint users. But there were no rooting guides available but recently released by Xda dev forum member. We have created a detailed Tutorial that will guide you through the procedure of rooting your Epic 4G on Android Gingerbread.
Disclaimer: This instructional guide is only meant for Samsung Epic 4G model SPH-D700. If you try to make it work with different device then it gives you an unsatisfied result. Although this article is only for educational purpose but if you are looking forward to apply it on your Samsung Epic 4G then it’s on your own risk. Neither we nor the developer should responsible for the damage of your device under unique circumstances. Follow all the instructions carefully before proceeding.
- For starting this rooting process you need to have a Samsung Epic 4G SPH-D700, a Windows based Computer and a USB data cable.
- Check whether the Samsung Epic’s USB device driver installed on your Windows. If you fail to get it on your Computer then try to get Samsung Kies, as it contain all necessary drivers required for your Samsung device.
- You need to disable the anti-virus and firewall on your Computer and Samsung Epic temporarily as they always cause interruption during the rooting process.
- Please charge your Samsung device to 70% or more. So, that you don’t have to face any kind of power issue.
- You also need to backup your Samsung Epic 4G. Make sure you have created backup files such as SMS, call logs, contacts, images, audios, videos, Bookmarks, APN (Access Point Names) settings, MMS settings. You may need them to restore after rooting process.
- Please enable the USB Debugging on your Samsung Epic 4G. Here is the path from where it can be enabled ‘Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging’. Now, check the USB Debugging.
Rooting Package (File Name: SamsungEPIC4GRooting-Kit.zip File Size: 6.48 MB)
How to Root Samsung Epic 4G using Rooting Kit:
Step 1. Here you need to extract the downloaded zip file first to a single folder.
Step 2. Then, you need to run Odin Software by double-clicking the Odin3 v1.85.exe file.
Step 3. Now, you need to turn off the Samsung Epic 4G and restart it in order to enter into a download mode by pressing and holding Power button and Volume button together.
Step 4. As you have already launched Odin3. So, connect your device to your Computer via USB data cable.
Step 5. On doing this, Odin3 will automatically recognise your phone by delivering the message ‘Added!’.
Step 6. If it fails to detect your device then repeat this process again or reinstall the drivers on your Computer.
Step 7. Now, select the PDA tab under Odin3 UI and browse for the file with the extension .tar.
Step 8. After that you can proceed with the process but remember not to make any changes to other Odin settings.
Step 9. Press the Start button in Odin3 to start the rooting process on your Samsung Epic 4G. It may take around 5-6 minutes to complete. It will declare that the rooting process is successfully completed by providing you the PASS message in the message box.
Co0ngratulation! This PASS message shows that you have successfully rooted your Samsung Epic 4G SPH-D700.