Sprint has launched Samsung SPH-D710 or Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch a year ago. Galaxy SII Epic 4G featured a dual core 1.2Ghz Processor and Mali-400MP GPU. One of the most powerful phone on Sprint network was running Android Gingerbread but recently has been upgraded to Android ICS 4.0.4. Many users got unrooted while updating and we have requested by many users to bring up a detailed post on rooting Epic 4G. The phone has enough bells and specs to handle Jelly Bean but it looks Samsung is not interested to release Jelly Bean for it right now. You will need to wait for months until Samsung confirms the update. Developers on XDA forum has introduced a Jelly Bean Android 4.1.1 CyanogenMod 10 build for Epic 4G touch but there are some major issues like Sleep of Death and Loss of service. We will be updating you about the best custom ROM available for Epic 4G touch very soon.
- All your data may lose after applying this process, so make sure to create the backup of data which are precious for you such as APN (Access Point Names) settings, MMS (Multi Messaging Service) settings, Call Logs, SMS, Contacts, Pictures, Music, Videos, Bookmarks, etc.
- You must charge your device battery to 60% in order to complete the process in successful manner.
- You must disable the firmware or anti-virus from your Computer and Galaxy S II. Just ensure that it won’t interruption the flashing process while running.
- The USB Debugging option must be enabled on your Galaxy S II, this can be possible by following the path ‘Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging’ and mark the USB Debugging option to enable it.
- Download necessary Samsung Android USB Drivers
- Download ‘SPH-D710.FF18_CL663858_ROOTED-oc-sfx.exe’ or ‘SPH-D710.FF18_CL663858_ROOTED_NODATA-oc-sfx.exe’ from here.
For ClockworkMod Recovery
- Download ‘e4gtauto-sfx.exe’ from here.
How to Root your Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch:
Step 1. Once you have downloaded the required files from the download section. You can start the rooting first by double-clicking on ‘SPH-D710.FF18_CL663858_ROOTED_NODATA-oc-sfx.exe’ self-extracting file and extract it to a known location.
Step 2. From the extracted folder, double-click on the ‘SPH-D710.FF18_CL663858_ROOTED_NODATA-oc-sfx.exe’.
Step 3. Now, you need to turn off your Galaxy SII and reboot into Odin mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power buttons till you see a warning message on your screen and then press the Volume Up button to get into Odin mode.
Step 4. Then, you need to plug your device to the Computer via USB data cable while Odin is open, the yellow colour on Odin message box tells you that your device is connected properly.
Step 5. On Odin, click on PDA button, then select the proper file from the extracted folder and press the Start button to begin flashing.
Step 6. After the completion of the process its status changes to PASS! And your device will reboot automatically and when it restarts, you will find rooted Epic 4G Touch.
How to Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch:
Step 1. After the completion of the rooting process, you need to install the ClockworkMod recovery on your Galaxy S 2 for which you need to connect your Galaxy S2 with the Computer via USB data cable.
Step 2. Then, double-click on ‘e4gtauto-sfx.exe’ that you have downloaded under download section to self-extract it to your Computer.
Step 3. From the extracted folder, double-click on runfirst.bat to start installing the CWM.
Step 4. When the tool package appears on your Computer screen, type ‘D’ and hit enter.
Step 5. Follow the instruction appears on your screen to complete the installation process.