Viewsonic GTablet is a powerful Android Tablet released a year ago running on Nvidia Tegra 2 Dual core processor and big 10.1 inch touch screen. It was priced strategically and thus sell like hot cakes. Right now, ViewSonic G tablet has been updated to Android 4.0.3 IceCream Sandwich. It is already revealed that Viewsonic is working on new Jelly Bean Tablet and thus G Tablet will not get Android 4.1 JB official update. But there are many custom ROM available with Jelly Bean and ICS base. To install custom ROM you will need to root the device and install Custom recovery. We hereby present a detailed tutorial to root G Tablet and install ClockWorkMod recovery.
Warning: Neither we nor the developer should be held responsible for any damages caused to your phone in the process of following this article. Therefore, please read carefully and then proceed.
- The methods and steps mentioned in this article should only be tried on Viewsonic gTablet.
- Ensure that there is at least 70% charge with your device, so that there will be no Power interruption during the process.
- You need to backup all essential data’s on your phone, to assure that there will be no data loss during the process.
- Disable all Security programs like Firewall and Antivirus from your computer and uninstall the same from your phone, as these security programs generally tend to interrupt the process.
- The Viewsonic gTablet is known to have two bootloader versions – 1.1 and 1.2. Make sure you choose the right zip file in the next section as choosing the incorrect one can brick your device. To know what version you have on your device running stock OS, go to Menu > Settings > About Tablet > Tap UI Version; the firmware version should either start with 1.1 or 1.2 and this will be the zip file you will be downloading.
- This guide will assume that you have the 1.2 bootloader and will be using the relevant files for this version; if you are on 1.1, follow the same procedure but substitute the necessary files to avoid bricking your device.
- Enable USB Debugging in your Viewsonic gTablet from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. The option of USB Debugging should be ticked.
Procedure Root and Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Viewsonic gTablet:
Step1: First of all, connect your phone to the PC via original USB cable i.e. the cable that came with it.
Step2: Now, move the folders: “recovery” and “update.zip” to the root directory of your tablet’s internal SD card.
Step3: Reboot your tablet by pressing and holding the Volume Up and Power buttons until your see “Recovery key detected” message on the screen.
Step4: The update.zip file will now start installing automatically, installing CWM Recovery on your device and then your tablet will reboot automatically.
Step5: Next, to root your tablet you will have to go to the link here and select a ROM based on your bootloader version (1.2 or 1.1).
Step6: Copy the ROM zip file to the root directory of your phone’s SD card. As chosen from the link provided above.
Step7: Now, reboot your tablet so as to enter it in ClockworkMod Recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together until the screen turns on.
Step8: Next, from the main recovery menu, select “Flash zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard” and then choose the ROM file you’ve placed on the SD card.
Step9: After the flashing has completed, select “Reboot system now” to reboot your device and land into the newly installed ROM.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully rooted and installed CWM Recovery on your Viewsonic gTablet. Share your thoughts with us or let us know if you face any problem, we here to resolve the same.