Acer Iconia A500 was released a Year ago with Nvidia Tegra 2 graphics and Nvidia GeForce Graphics. It came with Android HoneyComb and later company updated it to Android IceCream Sandwich. For users who updated to Android 4.0.3 IceCream Sandwich over OTA got unrooted. The root user was revoked but can be regained very easily. There is a simple one click root tool available for Iconia A500. Developers have also created a Jelly Bean CyanogenMod 10 based custom firmware for Iconia A500. The ROM is stable but has some minor bugs with memory leakage and browsers. To install Jelly Bean ROM you will need to root and install CWM recovery on your Iconia A500 as explained below:
Warning: This article is meant for educational and instructional purpose only. Therefore, neither we nor the developer should be held liable for any damages caused to your phone in the process of following this article.
- The methods and steps mentioned in this article should only be tried on Acer Iconia A500 tablet.
- Your Acer Iconia A500 tablet must be running on Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Ensure that there is at least 70% charge with your device, so that there will be no Power interruption during the process.
- You need to backup all essential data’s on your phone, to assure that there will be no data loss during the process.
- Disable all Security programs like Firewall and Antivirus from your computer and uninstall the same from your phone, as these security programs generally tend to interrupt the process.
- Enable USB Debugging in your Acer Iconia A500 tablet from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. The option of USB Debugging should be ticked.
Download the Rooting Package and Acer Recovery Installer file from here to your computer. Extract the rooting package file on the desktop of your PC for convenience and transfer the Acer Recovery Installer file on your phone.
Procedure to Root and Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Acer Iconia A500 Tablet:
Step1: First of all, connect your phone to the PC via original USB cable i.e. the cable that came with it.
Step2: Now, double-click on “runit-win.bat”, if you are on a Windows based PC or double-click on “runit-linux.sh”, if you are on a Linux based PC.
Step3: After your selected file has been installed, you will have root access on your device.
Step4: Now, launch the Acer Recovery Installer file from your App Drawer by tapping its icon.
Step5: Next, from the main interface of the app, tap the “Install Recovery Image” button.
Step6: Follow all the on-screen instructions displayed on your phone.
Step7: After you’ve followed all the on-screen instructions correctly, CWM Recovery will be installed on your tablet.
That’s it; you’ve successfully Rooted and installed CWM Recovery on your Acer Iconia A500 tablet. Do let us know if you face any difficulties on going through the article, we are here to help you in all possible ways.