Motorola Droid 2 or R2D2 is a great Android Smartphone. Verizon customer who own this device are still waiting for ICS update but Motorola has not announced any ETA. We have found a new ROM based on Android 4.0.4 CyanogenMod on rootzwiki forum that is exclusively built for Droid 2/R2D2. The ROM has stock CM9 user interface and functionalities. Most of the things including CDMA radio, WI-FI, Camera, 2D-3D hardware acceleration are working, Try this ROM now, it is lag free and provides standard battery life.
- Let’s get started, in this process we required a rooted Motorola device with Clockwork Mode Recovery installed on it, a Windows based Computer and USB data cable for your device.
- It’s better to take the backup of all your precious data, which are SMS, call logs, contacts, images, audios, videos, Bookmarks, APN (Access Point Names) settings and MMS settings etc. It is recommended not to skip this step or you may loss all your important data at the end of the process.
- Battery should be charged to 60% or more, just to avoid power issues with your device during the installation process.
- You are also recommended to disable and uninstall the anti-virus / firewall from your Computer and device respectively. As these anti-virus / firewall may cause interruption during the process.
- The USB Debugging option needs to be checked on your device. you have to follow the path to enable it. The path is ‘Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging’.
How to Install CyanogenMod 9 on Motorola Droid 2/R2D2
Step 1. Assuming that you have successfully completed all the above steps and downloaded the zip files from the provided link to a known location on your hard disk. Now, connect your Motorola device with your Windows based Computer via USB data cable.
Step 2. Then, you need to place that downloaded zip files to the root of your device SD card.
Step 3. Once it is done. Turn off your device to get into the ClockworkMod recovery mode by holding and pressing Power button and Volume up/down button simultaneously until you see the recovery mode screen on your device.
Step 4. Now, you need to wipe all your cache data from the phone. So, select ‘Wipe data/factory reset’ and again select ‘Wipe Cache partition’. Now, select ‘Dalvick cache’, under Advance option.
Step 5. Return to recovery mode screen. Then, select ‘install zip from SD card’ and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Look for CM9-D2-04242012.zip file in SD card and select it to flash it on your device. Then, once again get back to the main menu through ‘+++Go back+++’ and select ‘Install zip from sd card > Choose zip from sd card’ to flash gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip. Confirm the installation by selecting ‘Yes’. The entire process may take around 9-12 minutes to complete.
Step 6. Once it completed, choose the ‘+++Go Back+++’ option to return in main menu and select ‘reboot system now’ to restart your device.
Step 7. Congratulation! You have now successfully completed the installation on your device.