Samsung has launched their new Flagship phone Samsung Galaxy S3 which is on the world tour. This is most talked about Android smartphone for now. Chainfire has already released its rooting process and tools few days ago and this time he has released the modded ClockWorkMod recovery. We have already had a detailed tutorial on Rooting the new Samsung Galaxy SIII this time its for install CWM custom Recovery on SGS3. This Step by step tutorial will guide you through the procedure of download CWM image file and flashing it to SGS3 using Odin.
If you are searching for Jelly bean firmware for SGS3 then you will need to wait for months. Howver, there is a working CM10 build available for SGS3 that is working well. It can be installed only on rooted device.
Disclaimer: You must aware of the fact that this process is quite risky and you should not do if you have any doubt. At least you should have some kin knowledge of it. You must not blame us or the developer for your damage. So, proceed ahead at your own risk.
Pre – Requisite:
- Before starting the procedure, let me make it clear that all your apps, data and settings will be wiped up during the process but it is not going to touch your SD Card, so you need not have to worry for it. Just go with the normal backup procedure which includes backup of SMS, call logs, contacts, images, audios, videos, Bookmarks, APN (Access Point Names) settings, MMS settings and more if you have any other important data.
- For completing the updating process successfully, you need to have a Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300, a Windows based Computer and USB data cable.
- Minimum 70% of charged battery is required to complete the process. Less than this will cause power issue during the process.
- Also, enable the USB Debugging. The path is ‘Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging’. Then, check the USB Debugging.
- Please uninstall the Samsung’s PC software Kies, if you have one installed in your Galaxy S3 i9300 just to make it sure that it will not interrupt during the flashing.
- Make it sure that you have proper drivers installed in your Samsung device. If not, click the link below to get it for you device.
- You can also download the ClockworkMod Recovery for your Galaxy S3. Here we have the Official Development Page from where you can download the latest file named as CF-SGS3-CWM-v5.5-v1.0.zip.
- Also, Download the Odin version 1.85 from here.
How to Flash CWM recovery to Samsung Galaxy S3 using Odin:
Step 1. First you need to extract the downloaded package in your computer, and then open the .tar file (CF-SGS3-CWM-v5.5-v1.0.tar. You will be needing .tar file to flash it with Odin.
Step 2. In step 8 under pre-requisite, you need to extract the zip file for Odin and run it when it will asked you for doing it.
Step 3. Now, it’s time to turn off your Galaxy S3 i9300.
Step 4. Then you need to boot into a download mode of your Galaxy device. Here is the process to get into this mode, turn off your phone and then plug in your USB cable to your PC but don’t plug your device.
Step 5. You should hold your Volume up and down button while plugging the phone and keep holding those buttons till your device screen shows the Download mode.
Step 6. Run the Odin after extracting it on your Computer.
Step 7. When you plug in the device then the message says ‘Added!’ under the Odin message box. If you don’t get the message that means it is not connected properly. Try it again, until you see the get the message. Also, make sure that you have uninstalled Kies from the Control Panel.
Step 8. On Odin, click on PDA button, then select the .tar file which you have got in previous step.
Step 9. Please do not make any changes in Odin other than this. Also, double check it before going ahead.
Step 10. Press the Start button to flashing the clockworkmod recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S3.
Step 11. Please wait until the process is finish. You will find that after the flashing is complete your device will reboot automatically and a PASS message in Odin will display with the green background. Which means – it is safe now to disconnect your device.
Step 12. When the phone boots up, your ClockworkMod recovery is ready for you to work. To check it, you must boot it to recovery mode. For that, you need to turn off the Galaxy S3 and then press and hold the three button combination – Volume button + Home button +Power button till you see the Samsung Logo on it. Soon, you will find the CWM recovery appears on your Galaxy screen.
Step 13. Now, select ‘reboot system now’ from main menu to reboot your device and get back to your normal screen.
Step 14. Congratulation, you have now successfully installed ClockworkMod recovery on your Galaxy S3 i9300.